The Information Specialists in the Commission’s Information Services Division are always ready and willing to provide assistance to licensees and to the public. That assistance is solely in providing information. The staff can not provide interpretations of the License Law or the Rules or advise callers on how to proceed in a particular situation.
Often the Commission’s staff receives requests for advice on or interpretations of contractual obligations. The staff is unable to help with those requests for three reasons. First, no one on the staff is licensed to practice law. Second, not even a licensed attorney could give competent advice or interpretation over the phone without having seen the contract itself. Third, neither the Commission nor its staff members are authorized to give legal advice to licensees or the public.
Having said that, the Information Specialists at the Commission can and do provide substantial assistance to licensees and the public in a number of ways including:
- referring callers to relevant provisions of the License Law and Rules that they can then consult for themselves;
- explaining to licensees how they can reinstate a lapsed or inactive license;
- answering a licensee’s question as to how much continuing education he or she is required to have to renew or reinstate a license;
- revealing whether a particular individual or firm is licensed and whether there has been any formal disciplinary action;
- explaining how to file a complaint with the Commission and sending a complaint form; and
- providing names and phone numbers of other agencies or organizations that might be of assistance to the caller.
Just as Commission staff members can not interpret the License Law and the Rules or give advice, they can not:
- waive or modify any requirement of the License Law or the Rules;
- assist in resolving disputes about commissions or fees;
- recommend a brokerage firm, a sales associate, or an approved school; or
- reveal whether a licensed individual or firm has had any complaints filed against them.