Renewing Your License
Renewing Your License
You can renew your license 24 hours a day, seven days a week, up to 120 days (4 months) prior to the renewal date. You must renew by midnight of your renewal due date to avoid lapsing and incurring a late fee.
Our office is open from Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm. If you have any problems processing your online renewal after normal business hours, please review the following information and options:
- You may renew online by clicking on the appropriate “Login to Online Services” link on our home page.
- You will need your User Name and Password to access your records.
- If you would rather renew by mail, “Mail-in Renewal” applications are available in the “Forms and Applications” section of this website. The standard renewal fees are $125 for all Real Estate licenses.
- Mail-in renewals must be postmarked no later than the renewal due date or the license will be considered “lapsed” and additional fees will apply.
- Online renewals will be discounted by $25 and must be processed by midnight on last day of the month, or a late fee will apply.
- Effective July 1, 2015, the required amount of continuing education (CE) hours increased from 24 to 36 for each four year renewal period.
- Effective July 1, 2016, 3 of the required CE hours must be on the topic of license law from a license law course approved by the Georgia Real Estate Commission.
- All approved Schools in GA are required to certify and post course completion information electronically, via our website. We do not process that information at GREC. If you just completed a course, most Schools will not be able to post it until the next business day, at the earliest. List of Approved Real Estate Schools.
- If all required courses have not been posted by your renewal deadline, it is recommended that you renew to Inactive status, to avoid a late fee. After the courses have been posted, you may activate your license by submitting a “Change Application”. There is no fee required to re-activate.
Renewing the Broker’s license does NOT renew the Firm license. Each Firm has it’s own license number and renewal due date. Firm license renewal periods are also 4 years in length. No education is required to renew a Firm license.
Creating An Online Account
In December 2019 all individual licensee records were migrated into our new database. All licensees will need to register by creating a new User Name and Password. Your old username and password will no longer work in this new system.
New accounts will allow for the access of multiple records with a single login. This means, if you hold multiple licenses, all of your records will be accessed from this single login. For this reason, login information should NOT be shared.
Instructions for Creating a New Account
If you have NOT already established an account in the new Online Services System, you will need to create a new account. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- From the homepage grec.state.ga.us, click on the “Login to Online Services” box on the left-hand side of the homepage. (or use the link below)
- Click on the “Register” link to set up a new account.
- Enter your information in the fields provided and click on “Register” button.
If You Missed the Renewal Date
Less Than One Year
If you missed the license renewal date, your license is considered “lapsed” and you will need to “reinstate” the license. You will be able to reinstate your license online. A late fee will be charged.
Prior to reinstating a license online each licensee, must submit a “secure and verifiable document” for identification purposes and a “notarized affidavit” as detailed in the Lawful Presence Verification form, if not already on file with GREC.
Click here to access the Lawful Presence Verification form.
This information must be submitted to the GREC either in person, via e-mail at email@example.com, via courier, or via U.S. mail. The information must be legible.
Please allow five business days from the submission of your information for the GREC to notate your license record so that you will be able to reinstate online.
You will be reinstated to an active status online only if:
- It is less than 30 days past due and
- Your license was in an active status prior to the renewal date and
- All required continuing education (CE) credits have been completed and posted to your record.
In all other situations your license will be reinstated to an inactive status. If you are reinstated to an inactive status, all required CE credits must be completed and posted to your record before you can hold an active license. To change your license status from inactive to active, please submit a Change Application.
Renewing an individual broker license does not renew a firm (company) license. All firm licenses, including sole proprietorships, must be renewed separately.
More Than One Year
You will NOT be able to reinstate your license online.
You will need to use a Reinstatement Application and a late fee will be charged.
If you are reinstated to an inactive status, all required CE credits must be completed and posted to your record before you can hold an active license. To change your license status from inactive to active, please submit a Change Application.
After the commission processes your application, a new wall license and pocket card will be mailed to you within two business days.