Real Estate Instructors
Only real estate instructors approved, by name, by the Commission may teach Community Association Manager’s Prelicense, Salesperson’s Prelicense, and Broker’s Prelicense approved courses. Schools may utilize guest instructors with expertise in particular areas in any approved course provided a properly approved instructor is present at the time of the presentation or with prior written approval of the Commission.
The Commission does not require approved schools to file an application or request approval from the Commission before hiring an instructor for approved postlicense or continuing education courses.
To apply for instructor approval, the applicant must submit the Application for Prelicense Instructor to the Commission. A cashiers check or money order for $175 payable to the Georgia Real Estate Commission must accompany the application. The application must include:
- Evidence of the applicant’s having successfully completed within one year prior to making an application for instructor approval, the following:
- A Commission approved instructor development workshop, and
- A Salesperson’s Prelicense Course including the passing of the course examination
- Applicant’s resume or other biographical information;
- Applicant’s Real Estate License Information;
- A list of the Applicant’s teaching experience;
- List of all approved prelicense and continuing education courses in real estate and any college real estate courses completed;
- Description of the applicant’s real estate experience, membership in professional real estate associations, experience with auxiliary fields training in real estate brokerage and education and specific numbers and types of brokerage transactions in which the applicant has been involved;
- Copy of the Georgia Crime Information Report (GCIC) on the applicant.
The Commission may approve a non-resident instructor who has been approved by another jurisdiction’s real estate regulatory body and who can provide evidence of having already taught prelicense courses as an approved instructor for at least 5 years.
Maintaining & Renewing Approval
Renewal of Instructor Approval. All instructors must apply for renewal of approval by December 31 of the year in which their approval expires. Renewal applications must be on forms supplied the Commission and accompanied by:
- the required renewal fee established in Rule 520-1-.04;
- evidence of teaching 60 instructional hours to students in a Commission approved school during the current renewal period; and
- evidence of successfully completing 36 hours of instructor continuing education during the current renewal period from the following:
- a minimum of 12 hours from the Commission’s annual meetings for approved schools and instructors;
- a minimum of 24 hours of approved instructor continuing education courses that meet the requirements of this Chapter that an approved instructor teaches; or
- course(s) which the Commission approves for instructor continuing education.
- the effective date of this amendment shall be December 31, 2017.